Job Title: YVC Urban Agriculture AmeriCorps Member
AmeriCorps is a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), an independent federal agency whose mission is to improve lives, strengthen communities, and foster civic engagement through service and volunteering. For more information, go to http://www.nationalservice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/1_1323_ac_faq.pdf.
Youth Volunteer Corps (YVC) Overview:
Youth Volunteer Corps of Nashville, a program of Hands On Nashville, is one of nearly 30 YVC programs throughout the U.S. and Canada dedicating to changing the lives of youth through service. For over 6 years, YVC of Nashville has engaged youth from diverse backgrounds in service projects helping the community.
Overview of Position:
Supports the Urban Agriculture Program by providing service-learning opportunities for youth, guidance to volunteers in garden maintenance, and ongoing maintenance support of the Hands ON Nashville Urban Farm
Hours: Full time, 1,700 hours, approximately 11 to 12 months
1.) A living allowance of $12,100 distributed in equal installments twice monthly
2.) Basic health insurance (individual only, no dependent coverage available)
3.) A $5,550 educational award upon completion of service term
• Youth engagement
• Curriculum implementation and development
• Volunteer management
• Nonprofit communications and relationships
• Farm maintenance and upkeep
• Promote utilization of the Urban Farm by local and partner organizations
• Implement and evaluate service-learning opportunities
• Expand curriculum programming
• Expand participation in Crop City (summer youth development program)
• Provide volunteer leadership in garden maintenance
• Assist with Urban Farm planting, maintaining, and harvesting
• Represent Hands On Nashville at school and community service fairs
• Fulfill speaker/presentation requests for schools, faith and community groups
• Recruit groups for year-round curriculum, spring/fall break & summer programming from a variety of sources, with a focus on opportunity youth who are:
- out-of-school youth, including out-of school youth who are unemployed;
- in or aging out of foster care;
- limited in English proficiency;
- homeless or who have run away from home;
- at-risk to leave secondary school without a diploma;
- former juvenile offenders or at risk of delinquency; or
- individuals with disabilities
• Assist with reporting
• Write and send monthly neighborhood communication
• Work with HON’s communication team to prepare all promotional materials for youth program recruitment
• Active in the YVC AmeriCorps network, including attending orientation training and sharing experiences with other AmeriCorps members as well as others in the YVC network
• Attend YVC Summit, October 10-12, in Kansas City, MO
• Execute other duties as assigned in support of HON’s overall operation
The YVC Urban Agriculture AmeriCorps Member reports immediately to the Urban Agriculture Program Manager.
Availability: Applicants must be available to work August 2013 through July 2014. Commitment will involve evening and weekend hours.
1. Bachelor’s Degree required.
2. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
3. Knowledge of agricultural principals required.
4. Comfortable with instructing groups.
5. Ability to organize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
6. Able to multi-task while remaining details-oriented.
7. Able to work well independently, and in team settings.
8. Enjoys working with youth populace.
9. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.